- The Most Horrific Publicized Case of Exorcism in American History
- Add Some Macabre to Your Fireplace With These Human Skull-Shaped Logs
- Death and Burial in Venice: What Does the Floating City do with Its Dead?
- From Here to Eternity: Caitlin Doughty Explores How Other Cultures Care for Their Dead
- ‘The Butchering Art’ Explores the Brutal Practices of Victorian Surgery
Monsters in America Cryptid Art Show
Cryptozoological wonders come to life in this art exhibit inspired by the Monsters in America map by Hog Island Press.
Mothman by Steven Levan
Stop in at One Mile Gallery in Kingston, New York to catch an unusual art show every Saturday in September. The Monsters in America art show was inspired by the Monsters in America map by Hog Island Press and curated by artist Richard Saja. It features interpretations of Bigfoot, Mothman, lake monsters and other cryptozoological creatures in a variety of mediums by 58 different artists.
From the show description:
Whether the protagonist be the Pope Lick Monster, Wampaus Cat, Mothman or Chupacabra, tales of mysterious creatures and inexplicable phenomena have been passed down for generations. Curated by Richard Saja, One Mile’s September offering, “Monsters in America”, is a group show featuring various artists’ take on the cryptozoological map of the United States. Each artist focuses on a legendary monster, ancient spirit or alien being.
Texas Chupacabra by Keri Oldham
Pope Lick Monster by Caitlin McCormack
Skunk Ape by William Hatch Crosby
Honey Island Swamp Monster by Kanh and Selesnick
Loveland Frogman by Theo Ellsworth
Mothman by Herman James
See all the art from the exhibition on the Monsters in America blog right here.