October Instagram Giveaway of Doom II
Win a box full of morbid curiosities for the 2nd annual Instagram Halloween contest.
Last October I asked Cult readers to answer trivia questions by posting photos or videos representing the answers on Instagram. The photo with the correct (and most creative) answer won a “Box of Weird” filled with Halloween trinkets and a copy of Cult contributor J. Nathan Couch’s book Goatman: Flesh or Folklore?
There were a lot of great answers using skulls, bones, Legos wearing necropants, hand-drawn art and more. So…I’ve decided to do it again. Except I’m upping the ante this time. Last year’s zombie finger puppets, rubber bugs, plastic skeletons and nose-shaped pencil sharpeners were fun, but I’ve been gathering things all year to make these boxes of weird much weirder.
Since Cult of Weird deals in morbid curiosities, I decided to dig up four MEMENTO MORI themed boxes featuring macabre contributions from a few of my favorite brands, as well as a haunting new release by author Colin Dickey from Viking Books.
What’s in the box?
There are only 4 boxes, available exclusively through this contest. No, sadly none of them contain Gwyneth Paltrow’s head. But each one does include:
- 1 Matchbox 1963 Black Cadillac Hearse
- 1 coffin keychain
- 1 white scarab specimen in lucite
- 2 Victorian-era cast iron coffin screws c.1880
- 2 buttons from Dead Sled Brand
- 1 Pallbearers patch from Poison Apple Printshop
- 1 Black spine candle from Grave Digger Candles
- A copy of Ghostland by Colin Dickey (Viking, 2016)
Coffin keychain, Dead Sled Brand buttons, “The Pallbearers” patch from Poison Apple Printshop
Black spine candle from Grave Digger Candles
White scarab specimen preserved in lucite
Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places by Colin Dickey
How to Enter
Follow Cult of Weird on Instagram and watch for a new question to be posted every Monday morning throughout October. Get creative and share a photo or video representing the correct answer on Instagram. Mention @cultofweird in the description and include hashtag #cultofweird so I’ll see it.
The winner will be chosen on Fridays.
UPDATE: 10/29/2016 The contest has ended. Here are the results:
- Week 1: Digging up the afterlife of Charlie Chaplin’s remains
- Week 2: Dancing on the dead at London’s Enon Chapel
- Week 3: Dissecting the meaning of the Anatomical Venus
- Week 4: The spirit photography of William H. Mumler