- Cult of Weird Holiday Gift Guide 2016
- The Silver Swan is a Marvel of 18th-Century Clockwork Automata
- The Sweet Hereafter: Honey from Brooklyn’s Green-Wood Cemetery
- Watch the First Trailer for the Beware the Slenderman Documentary
- DIY DEATHstination: Win Great Stuff by Digging up Stories from Your Local Cemetery
The Devil in the Cornfield: Short Stories from the Summer Writing Contest
Weird Darkness host Darren Marlar reads the top entries from the Milwaukee Paranormal Conference/Cult of Weird speculative fiction writing contest.
Over the summer Cult of Weird and the Milwaukee Paranormal Conference teamed up to present a summer speculative fiction writing contest. Submissions had only three requirements: A 1500 word limit, a paranormal theme, and it had to be set in Wisconsin.
We received 40 amazing entries, the top 3 of which were read at the conference earlier this month. A recent episode of the podcast Weird Darkness, in which host Darren Marlar “presents stories of ghosts, demons, cryptids, unsolved, mysteries, aliens, and other things dark,” features the top 3 stories, as well as the two honorable mentions.
These stories are:
- Beware the Bindlestiff by Carolyn Toms-Neary
- Stopping Sirens by Cassie O’Rourke
- Thinning the Herd by Eric Montag
- The Fortune Teller of Rhinelander by Marlin Bressi
- The Devil in the Cornfield by Zelia Edgar
Thank you to everyone who submitted a story for the contest!