- Add Some Macabre to Your Fireplace With These Human Skull-Shaped Logs
- Death and Burial in Venice: What Does the Floating City do with Its Dead?
- From Here to Eternity: Caitlin Doughty Explores How Other Cultures Care for Their Dead
- Milwaukee Parent Wants Teacher Fired for Using Ouija Board in Class
- ‘The Butchering Art’ Explores the Brutal Practices of Victorian Surgery
Occult America Explores the Nation’s Esoteric Roots
From seances and psychics in the White House, to the supernatural origins of alternative religious practices, America’s roots are steeped in mystical beliefs and esoteric traditions.
Occult America by Mitch Horowitz
America was founded on secret knowledge and esoteric mystical traditions. In Occult America, author Mitch Hororwitz traces these roots and examines the strange stories of seances in the White House, the history of the Ouija board, the arcane symbolism on the dollar bill, and more.
From its earliest days, America served as an arena for the revolutions in alternative spirituality that eventually swept the globe. Esoteric philosophies and personas—from Freemasonry to Spiritualism, from Madame H. P. Blavatsky to Edgar Cayce—dramatically altered the nation’s culture, politics, and religion. Yet the mystical roots of our identity are often ignored or overlooked. Opening a new window on the past, Occult America presents a dramatic, pioneering study of the esoteric undercurrents of our history and their profound impact across modern life.
Occult America is available right here.