- Cult of Weird Holiday Gift Guide 2016
- The Silver Swan is a Marvel of 18th-Century Clockwork Automata
- The Sweet Hereafter: Honey from Brooklyn’s Green-Wood Cemetery
- Watch the First Trailer for the Beware the Slenderman Documentary
- DIY DEATHstination: Win Great Stuff by Digging up Stories from Your Local Cemetery
Rosalia Lombardo: Blinking Mummy of the Capuchin Catacombs
Rosalia Lombardo died at two years old of pneumonia in 1920. She was preserved by a skilled embalmer using methods only recently understood, and entombed in Italy’s Capuchin Catacombs.
Recently, a bizarre phenomenon has stirred controversy and sparked new interest in Palermo’s Sleeping Beauty. The eyes of the mummified child, who rests in a glass coffin, have been observed opening. In the video below, time lapse shows her eyes open slightly and then close again over a period of two hours.
While there is much speculation about the cause (restless spirits?), it is generally accepted that it most likely occurs due to temperature changes in the catacombs.