- The Most Horrific Publicized Case of Exorcism in American History
- Add Some Macabre to Your Fireplace With These Human Skull-Shaped Logs
- Death and Burial in Venice: What Does the Floating City do with Its Dead?
- From Here to Eternity: Caitlin Doughty Explores How Other Cultures Care for Their Dead
- ‘The Butchering Art’ Explores the Brutal Practices of Victorian Surgery
Sandra West Was Buried In a Lace Nightgown Inside Her 1964 Ferrari
As stipulated in her will, millionaire heiress Sandra West was buried in lingerie in the driver’s seat of her powder blue 1964 Ferrari.
Thanks to Messy Nessy Chic for digging this out of the dark corners of the internet today:
Sandra West, heiress to her dead husband Ike West’s Texas oil fortune, died from an overdose of prescription drugs on March 10, 1977 in her Beverly Hills home. West, who was described by her physician as “a psychotic with a tendency toward paranoia and hallucination,” had requested in her will that she be dressed in her lace nightgown and buried in one of her three Ferraris “with the seat slanted comfortably.”
Because you wouldn’t want your corpse to spend eternity in an awkward, upright position.
West’s body and her beloved Ferrari were sent back to Texas, where a huge grave was dug beside her husband in San Antonio’s Alamo Masonic Cemetery. The car was placed inside a large wooden crate, lowered into the ground by a crane, and then covered in concrete.