- The Lost Chapel of Bones in Malta
- The Most Horrific Publicized Case of Exorcism in American History
- Add Some Macabre to Your Fireplace With These Human Skull-Shaped Logs
- Death and Burial in Venice: What Does the Floating City do with Its Dead?
- ‘The Butchering Art’ Explores the Brutal Practices of Victorian Surgery
What Do the Colors of a Barber’s Pole Mean?
I’d like a little off the top, please. Oh, and don’t forget the bloodletting.
You wouldn’t go to your barber today to get that life-saving kidney transplant, but in the early days of modern medicine you used to be able to get a whole lot more than just a shave and a haircut at your local barber shop. In the latest episode of Under the Knife, Dr. Lindsey Fitzharris reveals the role barber surgeons played in early modern medicine and the reason why barber’s poles have red and white stripes.
Watch more episodes of Under the Knife right here.