Weekend Weird: Santa’s Dead, Mummified Head, Burning Down Bad Spirits, and More
The grave of St. Nick has been found, Jeremy Bentham’s head goes on display, and more in this week’s roundup of weird news.
In October of 1913, the chief statistician for the Wisconsin Board of Health published an article detailing some of the odd notes he had seen made by doctors from around the state:
- A mother “died in infancy”
- “Went to bed feeling well but woke up dead”
- “Died suddenly at the age of 103. Up to this time he bid to reach a ripe old age.”
- “Deceased had never been fatally sick”
- “Died suddenly. Nothing serious.”
- “Pulmonary hemorrhage – sudden death. (Duration, four years.)”
- “Kick by horse shod on left kidney.”
- “Deceased died from blood poison, caused by a broken ankle, which is remarkable as the automobile struck him between the lamp and the radiator.”
And now this week’s other weird news and media:
Looking for some spooky fun? The Milwaukee Paranormal Conference is next weekend
Jeremy Bentham’s mummified head goes on display
And his body is coming to New York next year
Watch the 1991 Halloween special Claymation Comedy of Horrors
Woman burns down home to destroy bad spirit
How the tiny population of Easter Island built hundreds of statues
DNA confirms amazing Australian isle insect not extinct
A bronze arm has been discovered on the Antikythera shipwreck
Louvre pulls sculpture for too sexually explicit
Mysterious half-decomposed gorilla arm washes up in Ireland
Ex-FBI agent opens cold case review into who betrayed Anne Frank
The art of skeleton articulation
Cult of Weird Community on Instagram
Had a lot of fun visiting the Victor Wynd Museum of Curiosities today. I managed to see everything from carved human skulls and witchcraft items to Russel Brand's pubes and a book on sex tips for Irish farmers. I then ate a platter of assorted spiced bugs and chased them down with cocktails at the museum bar. Weird and wonderful place, worth checking out!
Tag your oddities and adventures #cultofweird to be featured!
Weird Book of the Week
The followup to her best-selling look at the death industry Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, mortician Caitlin Doughty travels the world to examine funeral practices from unique cultures around the globe.
BUY IT NOW ON AMAZON
For more macabre reads check out the 2017 Cult of Weird Fall Reading List.