Weird Book Club
Curl up in the candlelight this fall with one of these macabre recommendations from the Cult...
It's never too early to introduce kids to the story of Houdini's crusade against spiritualists.
Watch the promo for the upcoming book Confessions of a Funeral Director by Caleb Wilde.
More Weird Book Club News
- The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America’s Shining Women
The true story of the Radium Girls, women who fell ill while working in...
- Posted July 12, 2017
- Atlas of Cursed Places
Explore 40 locations around the world that are "rife with disaster, chaos, paranormal activity,...
- Posted July 5, 2017
- Pirate Women Who Ruled the Seven Seas
Who were the the princesses, prostitutes, and privateers who ruled the seven seas, and...
- Posted June 28, 2017
- Empire of Death: Photos from Crypts, Catacombs, and Bone Churches
Photos from crypts, catacombs, bone churches, and other morbid masterpieces made of human bones...
- Posted June 21, 2017
- Corsets and Codpieces: History’s Hidden Fashion Disasters
Throughout the ages fashion has been weird, and sometimes even deadly.
- Posted June 14, 2017
- From Here to Eternity: How Other Cultures Care for Their Dead
Upcoming book from mortician Caitlin Doughty explores how other cultures care for their dead.
- Posted March 9, 2017
- The Butchering Art: The Brutal Practices of Pre-Anesthetic Victorian Surgery
Step into the operating theater to explore how Joseph Lister changed the world of...
- Posted February 17, 2017
- Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History
Explore the natural history of cannibalism in nature and throughout history in this fascinating...
- Posted January 30, 2017
- Lost City of the Monkey God is Cursed with Flesh-Eating Parasites
Explorers investigating the recently discovered Lost City of the Monkey God learned the truth...
- Posted January 17, 2017
- Morbid Curiosities: Book Launch at the Morbid Anatomy Museum
Join author Paul Gambino at the Morbid Anatomy Museum with the collectors featured in...
- Posted November 4, 2016
- 10 Morbid Must-Reads for the Fall Season
Morbid and fascinating book recommendations for the fall season from the Cult of Weird...
- Posted September 22, 2016
- Occult America Explores the Nation’s Esoteric Roots
From seances in the White House to the supernatural origins of alternative religions.
- Posted April 13, 2016
- Andes Cannibal Survivor Recounts Horrors in New Book
Survivor of the 1972 plane crash in the Andes recounts cannibalism horrors in a...
- Posted February 25, 2016
- Cult of Weird 2015 Fall Reading List
Peculiar children, cannibalism, and the glorious misadventures of a dead man's head top the...
- Posted September 23, 2015
- Pre-Order Library of Souls, the Next Miss Peregrine Book
Pre-order the third installment of the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children now so...
- Posted September 12, 2015
- The Lady ParaNorma Brings My Pet Skeleton to the Printed Page
Acclaimed artist Vincent Marcone brings his haunting, surreal style to the pages of a...
- Posted August 25, 2015
- Alfred Packer: Legend of the First American Cannibal
New book explores the legend of Alfred Packer, who ate his companions on a...
- Posted August 12, 2015
- Dark Lanterns: 160th Anniversary of the George DeBar Tragedy
160 years ago today the brutal events detailed in the book Dark Lanterns: An...
- Posted August 7, 2015
- Mothman’s Curse: A Children’s Book
New children's book Mothman's Curse by Christine Hayes explores the bizarre legend in a...
- Posted June 15, 2015
- Monster Hunters: Tea Krulos Explores the World of Paranormal Investigation
Milwaukee journalist Tea Krulos spent over a year with paranormal investigators tracking down evidence...
- Posted April 27, 2015
- Malformed: Forgotten Brains of the Texas State Mental Hospital
What happened to the rare, malformed brain specimens missing from the Texas State Mental...
- Posted April 7, 2015
- Unreleased Welcome to Night Vale Novel #1 Top Seller on Amazon
The as-yet-unreleased novel based on the Welcome to Night Vale podcast has already become...
- Posted March 16, 2015
- Memento Mori: Paul Koudounaris Photographs the World of the Dead
Dr. Paul Koudounaris photographed the often vibrant realm where the distinction between the living...
- Posted March 13, 2015
- The Unpublishable Pop-up Book of Burlesque
Peter Larkin set out to create a pop-up book about burlesque where the clothes...
- Posted January 27, 2015
- Photographer Breathes Life Into Natural History Dioramas
Hiroshi Sugimoto's photos breathe life and depth into otherwise static natural history museum dioramas.
- Posted January 14, 2015
- Most Popular Weird Books of 2014
The most popular weird, macabre and insanely fascinating books of 2014.
- Posted December 29, 2014
- Goatman Named Best Weird Cryptid Book of 2014
Goatman: Flesh or Folklore? by J. Nathan Couch has been named the Best Weird...
- Posted December 23, 2014
- Beyond the Dark Veil: Post Mortem Photography
The Thanatos Archive put together this book of post mortem and mourning photography shedding...
- Posted December 4, 2014
- Abandoned America Book Documents Forgotten Spaces Across the US
Photographer Matthew Christopher documents the empty, crumbling ruins of civilization across the US.
- Posted November 20, 2014
- Deep-Fried Tarantula Recipe
Make Thanksgiving unique this year by serving something your guests won't soon forget...deep-fried tarantulas.
- Posted November 19, 2014
- Goatman Comics: Minimal Art, Maximum Soul
A review of the indie comic book series Goatman Comics by Tim Vargulish.
- Posted October 21, 2014
- Goatman: Author J. Nathan Couch Explores the Bizarre Legend in His New Book
Author and paranormal investigator J. Nathan Couch explores legends of the Goatman across the...
- Posted October 8, 2014
- Cult of Weird Fall Reading List
Explore themes of death, cremation, devil worship, the occult, doomed expeditions and do-it-yourself taxidermy...
- Posted October 3, 2014
- How to Taxidermy a Mouse
If you are looking to embark on your first taxidermy adventure, you should not...
- Posted December 27, 2013
- Death: 10 Macabre and Fascinating Books
I embarked on a mission to create a simple list of “weird” books that...
- Posted November 25, 2013
- Sea and Land: Victorian History Book Illustrates the Dreaded and Grotesque Natural World
This 1889 book highlights all the horrors of the natural world, from sea serpents...
- Posted November 24, 2013
- Jeweled Skeletons of Christian Saints
The new book Heavenly Bodies: Cult Treasures and Spectacular Saints from the Catacombs by...
- Posted September 29, 2013
- Walter Potter’s Curious World of Taxidermy
The Death and Burial of Cock Robin by Walter Potter When Victorian-era English taxidermist...
- Posted September 13, 2013
- The Accidents of Youth (1819)
The Accidents of Youth by Jas. W. and Chas. Adlard, published in 1819, was...
- Posted July 17, 2013
- Cannibalism & Human Evolution
Can intelligence be eaten? In 1971 a book hit the shelves suggesting human evolution...
- Posted May 6, 2013
- Golden Guide to Hallucinogenic Plants
The Golden Guide® to Hallucinogenic Plants, published in 1976. The back cover blurb reads:...
- Posted March 21, 2013
- The Gods Hate Kansas
The Gods Hate Kansas by Joseph Millard (1964, cover painting by Jack Thurston) INVASION...
- Posted March 10, 2013
- Dissection on Display: Cadavers, Anatomists, and Public Spectacle
Since Herophilus, the “father of anatomy,” performed the first public human dissection in the...
- Posted April 23, 2012
- Wicked Bugs
Wicked Bugs: The Louse That Conquered Napoleon’s Army & Other Diabolical Insects by Amy...
- Posted March 20, 2012
- Wicked Plants: Amy Stewart’s Botanical Atrocities
Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart explores the dark side of the plant kingdom, delving...
- Posted March 19, 2012
- Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy
Melissa Milgrom's Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy explores taxidermy from the early pioneers to...
- Posted December 13, 2010