- Add Some Macabre to Your Fireplace With These Human Skull-Shaped Logs
- Death and Burial in Venice: What Does the Floating City do with Its Dead?
- From Here to Eternity: Caitlin Doughty Explores How Other Cultures Care for Their Dead
- Milwaukee Parent Wants Teacher Fired for Using Ouija Board in Class
- ‘The Butchering Art’ Explores the Brutal Practices of Victorian Surgery
Celebrate the Bizarre in Point Pleasant at the Annual Mothman Festival
Point Pleasant celebrates it’s bizarre history with the annual Mothman Festival, featuring guest speakers, vendors, screenings and tours.
While you’re there: Mothman Roadtrip – 6 Things to do in Point Pleasant
The town of Point Pleasant, West Virginia has an unusual claim to fame: a mysterious creature they call Mothman. The first sighting occurred in November of 1966, kicking off 13 months of unexplained phenomena that left locals shaken. By December of 1967, there had been over a hundred reported encounters with the winged figure.
On December 15th, 1967, the Silver Bridge connecting Point Pleasant to Gallipolis, Ohio, collapsed into the icy waters of the Ohio River. Loaded with rush-hour traffic, the bridge suffered a devastating failure when a minute defect in an eye-bar chain assembly gave way. 46 lives were lost.
Mothman has not been seen in the area since.
Except, of course, during the Mothman Festival.
The 14th annual Mothman Festival is happening September 19-20 at Mothman Park in downtown Point Pleasant. The “weird little gathering” started in 2002, and continues to grow with thousands of visitors every year.
This year’s festivities include:
- Live music
- Mothman 5k
- Miss Mothman Pageant
- Mothman face painting for the kids
- The Mothman Prophecies Screening
- Tours of the infamous TNT Area
Guest speakers include Chad Lambert, John Frick, Sharon Shull & Dottie Campbell, Joedy Cook, Bill Brock, Lyle Blackburn, Rosemary Ellen Guiley, Susan Sheppard, Neal Parks, Ken Gerhard, Fred Saluga, and Stan Gordon.
For more info go mothmanfestival.com