The insanely massive Acuity flagpole in Sheboygan, Wisconsin is the world’s tallest symbol of freedom.
The Acuity flagpole in Sheboygan, WI is the world’s tallest symbol of freedom.
As far as phallic symbols and patriotism go, the Acuity Insurance company in Sheboygan, Wisconsin has the market cornered. Dedicated on June 16th, 2014, the Acuity flagpole is an obnoxious 400-feet tall, making it the tallest symbol of freedom in the world, apparently.
Because nothing says independence like obscene displays of corporate chest-puffing.
View from the base of the Acuity flagpole.
Facts About the World’s Tallest Flagpole
- The 400-foot flagpole weighs approximately 420,000 pounds.
- It is nearly 100 feet taller than the statue of liberty.
- The flag measures 60 feet by 120 feet.
- A 220-pound flag is flown during normal conditions.
- A 350-pound flag is flown during harsher weather.
- Each star is 3 feet high and each stripe is 4 1/2 feet wide.
- 680 cubic yards of concrete was used for the foundation.
- The pole is covered in over 500 gallons of paint.
- The pole is 11 feet in diameter at the base and tapers to 5 1/2 feet at the top.
- Three pendulum-style tuned mass dampers reduce movement and vibration.
- The base of the pole is a Veterans Memorial featuring the names of every Sheboygan County resident killed in the line of duty.
Acuity made three previous attempts to build the world’s tallest flagpole beginning in 2003, but they swayed too much in the wind and collapsed.
Time-Lapse Construction of the Acuity Flagpole
So what the hell does it all mean? In this video Acuity President and CEO Ben Salzman says “My wife and I go for a walk every day. On this walk I just said ‘You know, we should put up a really tall flagpole.'”
True words of inspiration. Thanks, Acuity.
This thing probably cost more money to build than I’ll make in my lifetime.